I've never been a really active person. I mean, yeah, I remember running all over the place when I was a kid. Climbing mountains, climbing trees, climbing through train cars...but that's a whole 'nother story, and please don't tell my mom. Even as a fairly active kid, though, I put on weight. And as I got bigger, I began to get more and more sedentary. At 419 lbs, it was hard to move. Hard to breathe. Hard to do the things I needed to do just to take care of myself and my family day to day. I'm trying to change all that. Granted, it's taking a while, and each day I find something else that I can tweak to help me on my journey to a healthier me.
Last week I went to visit a local gym. It's for ladies only...which is good, because I mean, who wants to work out in front of a bunch of guys? Especially when you weigh as much as I do? Anyway, the gym is really nice. I has treadmills, ellipticals, circuit training machines, recumbent bikes...the whole works. The lady who oversees the gym on weekday mornings was really gracious to us and gave us a two week free guest pass to try it out and see if we liked it. Much to my astonishment, I LOVE working out there. I start out on the treadmill. This morning, for example, I walked 1/2 mile. Then I moved to the circuit training and made the rounds. My favorite things are the ab machine, the back machine, and the leg extension machine. I can really feel them working. After I finished my circuit, I went back to the treadmill and walked another mile. This might seem kinda small to most of you. But for me, it is shocking because just a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have made it 1/4 mile on the treadmill and the machines would have killed me. Now, I'm working out at the gym and doing Zumba with my church sisters, and except for the occasional aches and pains--I feel good.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Feeling Good
Posted by Christina at 5:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow! I'm so proud of you! I'm telling you...get that book "Never Say Diet!" It will be so inspirational. I'm reading her second one called "The One Day Way" right now. It's looking to be just as good!
Most of all, it sounds like you're having fun...and I'm so envious of that because I hate hate hate changing my eating and exercising! It's a struggle every day! But it's something that HAS to be done. But like Chantel's book says, today is all you have to focus on...just deal with today.
I ordered the book from Amazon on Saturday. LOL It sounds really awesome, and I can't wait to read it! I have a line of people wanting to borrow it when I'm finished. Thanks for the recommendation!
Believe me when I say that I hated changing my eating and exercise habits at first, too. It was so difficult, and it totally sucked. But I'm learning day to day that it's so necessary for me to have the life I want. Plus, I'm honoring God with my body for the first time in...forever. And Chantel's right. Just focus on today. If I look at what I have to do long-term to reach my goal, it's too overwhelming. One day at a time, right?!
I will keep praying for you as you make the changes you are trying to make. I'm sending you all the positive thoughts and hugs in the world. God bless!
Post a Comment